Monday, April 8, 2013

Child Support order done on NY, everyone moved to PA - can it be terminated?

Q: Family all have lived in PA last 10 years.  New York was issuing state of the original child support order.  The last modification was done in 2010 in New York, but the Magistrate directed that all future Petitions be filed in PA.  Can the support order be terminated in PA due to emancipation if kids are over 18 (even though NY law extends emancipation until 21)?

A (David's Answer): Yes, because PA now has exclusive jurisdiction if Father, Mother & child lives there [see FCA 580-613].  --  David Bliven, Westchester Child Support lawyer (

No comments:

Post a Comment