Saturday, July 6, 2013

Can I be sued for child support if I marry someone with a child?

Q: This person has a young child but wants to marry me. If I decide to marry this person, can I be sued for child support too?

A: I assume you mean "Can I be sued for child support by my soon-to-be-spouse's ex?" The answer is no, not directly. It may behoove you to have a pre-nuptial agreement drawn up specifying what property or assets are yours. In the event your spouse falls behind in child support, his/her ex may try to execute judgment against any property s/he has, which arguably may include marital property.  -- David Bliven, Westchester Child Support attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment