Wednesday, July 10, 2013

My daughter in law lives in aruba. has child 6mths old. father is nyc cop. how can she get child support?

Q:  they were married 1 yr ago.

A:  David's Answer:  She can file the proceeding in Westchester Family Court - so long as he resides in New York, then that state would clearly have jurisdition over him to proceed on the support matter. She may also wish to consider filing for divorce, as she may qualify for spousal support as well as asset distribution (though probably not that much given the short-term duration of the marriage). In any event, have her schedule a phone consultation with a Westchester Child Support attorney.  -- David Bliven, Westchester Child Support attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment