Wednesday, June 11, 2014

"Do I need to pay support?"

Q:  I am divorced and pay child support for my 18 year old son. He has openly stated he wants nothing to do with me. As of today, he has also changed his last name. Do I still need to pay support for him?

A:  David's Answer:  You still need to pay support until the order is modified. You may file a petition claiming the child has emancipated himself by virtue of his actions. However, his refusal to have a relationship with you must be completely unjustified on his part - a high bar indeed. Schedule a consult with a Child Support lawyer in your area.   -- David Bliven, Westchester Child Support attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment