Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Is a lawyer worth paying with a custody and child support case

Q:  My sons father was very abusive towards me. I never called the police. He is 100% off the books and owns nothing . I don't feel my son is safe with him but he had mAde it clear if I do not agree with the visitation he is asking for he will never pay me child support. It will takes years if I ever do get the $ through court. From the research I have seen so gat ny state does not seem to help single mothers at all in situations like this. I went to court with a parenting agreement that they are rewording and adjourned the case to June. How likely is it that I can have sole legal custody? And exactly what advantages would that give me? I am afraid to file for support but I am afraid I will lose my Medicaid if I do not. I can't find a lawyer who will help me very inexpensively

A:  David's Answer:  The carrot-and-stick to child support when dealing with an off-the-books person is either he pays or he goes to jail. That simple. Most father's talk tough right up until when they're on the bus heading towards jail, then wise up & agree to pay. I never cease to be amazed by how many father's come up with thousands of dollars just before they're about to be locked up just to get out of going to jail. Thus, you can certainly still reach a fair agreement on child support, but get it in an enforceable order. Schedule a consult with a Child Support lawyer in your area.   -- David Bliven, Westchester Child Support attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment