Saturday, December 13, 2014

Am I entitled to an increase in child support ?

Q: I'm custodial parent in June me and the kids mother came to an agreement that she would only pay $50 a week in support for 2 children. We agreed out side of court and then made it official with the court. Which at the time was fine because I was making "good" money . But now 6 months late my hours were dropped 20 hours each week and just after I purchased a home to accommodate the children need more room. I used to work 60 hours and now im only working 40 hours . Will the judge likely make her pay what the child support standard acts say she should be paying if I requested and increase?

A: David's Answer: The standard for modification is if you've either had a substantial change of circumstances and/or a 15% change of income. Assuming the cut in hours not thru any request or fault of your own, and further assuming this resulted in a significant decrease of income, I feel you have a good shot to modify upward. -- David Bliven, Westchester Child Support attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment