Saturday, November 16, 2013

If my ex took a voluntary layoff to receive funding go back to school, can he now collect child support from me?

Q: he took this layoff in January, voluntarily, and was accepted into a gov subsidized second careers program. He now only collects the money they offer for schooling support and has come to me to take me for child support. I have been paying for all of our daughters expenses (clothing, extra curricular activities etc) since January and have kept receipts.

A: I'm confused by your question - are your children residing with the father? If yes, then you do indeed need to pay child support to the father regardless of his job situation. If the children are residing with you, on the other hand, then the father owes child support to you, not the other way around.  -- David Bliven, Westchester Child Support lawyer (

No comments:

Post a Comment