Saturday, November 2, 2013

When my son turns 18 in 6 months he is planning to go move with his aunt (mothers sister). Child Support...

Q:  If my son chooses to move with his aunt at age 18, will me and my ex be responsible for supporting him at the aunts house. I know NY states says 21 but I wasn't sure if he was choosing to move away from both parents if we could still have too. And if so how would that work ? I'm pretty sure that if we do the sister isn't going to take support money from her sister. Would support judge garnish her wedges as well ? Right now I pay my ex 25% for my 2 children if my 18 years old chooses to move do I have to pay each house hold 17% because it would be split? Thanks hope its not to confusing ?

A:  David's Answer:  Yes, conceivably you'd still need to support the 18yo if he's not working (& thus financial self-sufficient). If the move is without the parent's consent, you may argue that he's emancipated himself by virtue of his action. Otherwise, it would generally be up to the aunt to sue for child support, at which time the Court could indeed take a portion from both mother & father's income. In any event, I advise that you schedule a consultation with an Orange/Westchester Child Support attorney for a full assessment.   -- David Bliven, Westchester Child Support attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment