Saturday, November 16, 2013

Is offsetting of medical bills a violation of a decree? How about unilateral religious decisions for a child?

Q: My ex did not directly pay me her portion of an orthodontia bill, but prepaid
4 months (on my account ) instead so that could claim FSA savings.  She then billed me $3 for the difference!  I am taking her to court in two weeks in search of proactive modifications to prevent such behavior and to ensure she reimburses me on time consistently. She often does not.  She also unilaterally decided to put my son in church confirmation classes and then withheld information on it.  What are my chances of getting modifications such as prohibiting offsets, time limits on reimbursement, and agreement(s) on religious decisions?    

A: I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "off-sets" in your context. Generally though, one needs to strictly follow the agreement as stated. If one does not, one risks a default by the Judge & thus possible sanctions and/or counsel fees.  -- David Bliven, Westchester Child Support attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment