Tuesday, July 8, 2014

I am divorced 13 yrs. I want to file for support modification. My daughter is in college. I have paid for the first two years.

Q:  The stipulation of agreement reads that each parent is to contribute 1/2 of all college,living, medical expenses, the other parent gets credited c.s. contributions. I assumed all was included in the original child support petition when my daughter was a child. I learned recently that it was not when I petitioned for c.s. arrears. I was told that a modification petition was necessary to have college expenses added. Family court said with a magistrate, lawyers are not necessary. I have all receipts and records of expenses paid with copies of all and I hope all other required documents. I just want the father to pay my daughter's next two years of college expenses. I cannot afford a lawyer. Do I have a good chance? What are all the required documents, so I can re-check my work? Thanks.

A:  David's Answer:  You are nearly always better off with a lawyer than without one. The question also is whether you ever sent the bills/receipts to the NCP & proof thereof. You're best advised to bring in all your paperwork to a Child Support lawyer in your area for a full review & assessment.   -- David Bliven, Westchester Child Support attorney (www.blivenlaw.net)

No comments:

Post a Comment