Saturday, December 21, 2013

How does someone go about collecting delinquent alimony and child support.

Q:  My girlfriend's ex has not been current with his support and maintenance payments for some time. He has been running one month late on his payments for several months. Now he has refused to pay this month, effectively making him 2 months in arrears. He has recently filed to have alimony modified and/or terminated. My girlfriend cannot afford an attorney as she can barely pay her bills because of these delinquent payments. How does she go about seeking a remedy to this issue? Also, her ex is himself an attorney and should realize the ramifications for non-payment. Could his refusal to pay have any consequences on his law practice?

A:  David's Answer:  You can file an order to show cause to reduce any arrears to a money judgment. You can then use the judgment to enter a garnishment on his wages and/or seize his bank accounts. Schedule a consultation with a Westchester/Rockland Child Support attorney for a full assessment.  -- David Bliven, Westchester Child Support attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment