Saturday, May 18, 2013

Can I be forced to change my child's last name?

Q:  I'm in court with my child's father. My child is 5 months old. I gave my child my last name and now the child dad want the child's last name to be his. I never married my child's dad could I be forced by the courts to do that?

A: David's Answer:   you're in court on a paternity petition & the father is able to legally establish himself as the child's father, then yes, he has a right to request that the child's last name be changed. Usually in such an instance the court will compromise and have the child's name hyphenated. In any event, you should schedule a follow-up consultation with a Westchester Child Support lawyer for a full assessment.  -- David Bliven, Westchester Child Support attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment