Saturday, May 17, 2014

Child support order from Texas , now live in NYS , ex lives in NYS , who has jurisdiction to enforce order.?

Q:  Divorced in Texas 1980 child was 8 years old .

A:  David's Answer:  As both parents now reside in NY, then NY would generally have jurisdiction to modify or enforce. That said, have there been any modification and/or enforcement proceedings filed in the intervening years? Your ability to enforce a 1980 order is governed by the statute of limitations & thus if there were no subsequent orders, you may be out of luck. Schedule a consult with a Child Support lawyer in your area. -- David Bliven, Westchester Child Support attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment