Friday, May 30, 2014

Keep getting Child Support from NC through CSE even though child is over the age of 21.

Q:  I live in NYS and my daughter just turned 21 within the past month. I am still receiving child support payments (around $200 a month) from CSE even though the account is up-to-date, in fact I just checked the acct. and there is now a credit of $250 for the NC. There is no termination date on the court order. The NC and I are estranged and I have no idea where he lives. How does support end in cases like this? Do I keep cashing the checks (my daughter is in college and uses the money for expenses) until they stop coming from the state? If I do cash the checks will I have to pay the overpayments back? What is my legal responsibility?

A:  David's Answer:  You should contact SCU & let them know the child is emancipated and they may cancel the income garnishment. They may need you to execute a form & submit it for this to be done. Some forms & instructions are online: Speak to a Child Support lawyer in your area for more info.   -- David Bliven, Westchester Child Support attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment