Saturday, October 26, 2013

If my original order of support says i have to pay until hes 18 but they changed the law until 21 do i have to pay

Q:  i am in new york and the law just changed a few years ago and i'm curious how this will work

A:  David's Answer: New York law has been 21 for at least 3 decades. That said, whether you have a basis to modify depends on what state issued the original order & whether that other state (if it wasn't NY) still has continuing jurisdiction. Also, I'd wonder whether your original support was done pursuant to an agreement, as opposed to a "mere" order. For a full assessment, schedule a consultation with an Orange/Westchester Child Support lawyer. -- David Bliven, Westchester Child Support attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment