Saturday, October 5, 2013

What should I expect at child support hearing?

Q: I recently filed for child support and my hearing is on November 7th. I tried to work out with my daughter's dad but I am only receiving $30 for health insurance reimbursement and $120 a month for afterschool (essentially $30 a month). He offered an extra $200 a month and suggested I not go to court as they will not make him pay more than he can. We have joint custody but I have my daughter 5-7 days (depending on alternate weekends), I pay for doctor's visits, clothes, food, breakfast/lunch by myself, laundry and anything additional. What should I expect when I go to court? I am nervous about going as I make more than he does but I need help. I cannot do all of this by myself.


A: You should contact a Westchester attorney for a consultation. That said, you must prepare your financial disclosure affidavit and be prepared to present your '11 tax return, W-2 & a recent paystub. Whether you make more than him or not shouldn't matter as a percentage of support will still be based on his income (17% for 1 child, 25% for 2 children, etc.). Another good resource is https://www.childsupport.ny.gov/dcse/home.html-- David Bliven, Westchester Child Support attorney (www.blivenlaw.net)

No comments:

Post a Comment