Thursday, February 13, 2014

Am i suppose to send back child support paperwork from a private lawyer or wait til i get my own lawyer?

Q:  I have always paid child support through verbal agreement with my ex. I recently have been out of work and get surgery next week. I get very little from disability and my ex thinks im lying about so yesterday she had me summoned for child support. I have surgery next week so will have to try to get it adjourned or ill be getting wheeled in. All these 
Papers i was given dont make sense and the last page is all my income, assets , etc. i want to know are any of these forms something i have to fill out and send to the court or are these copies of standard court papers that her lawyer wants to use against me? I will seek counsel if they offer me a public defender since i have no money or assets but will they appoint me one or is that only with a criminal offense?

A:  David's Answer:  It's hard to say exactly what to do with the documents since I can't see what you have. I presume you were given a financial disclosure affidavit - if that's what you're referring to, then yes, you must completely fill it out & have it notarized. You're best advised to call a Child Support lawyer in your area - many lawyers give either a free or low-cost initial consult.  -- David Bliven, Westchester Child Support attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment