Saturday, February 22, 2014

Can this money be taken in family court?

Q:  I have a court date in a few days for child support court. I have to put down all my income, assets ect. Can they account for a settlement i got a few months ago from a serious injury that happened on the job at work? I thought this settlement was because i had to go through this traumatic injury and it was employers fault, i dont see why i would have to pay for my ex for it. Also my girlfriend lives with me and helps with bills , why do they want to know who lives w me and how much they make? Its me they want


A:  David's Answer:  Yes - as a general rule if its workers comp then this is considered income. If it's otherwise meant to pay your bills, etc. while you are out of work, then it's income. If you otherwise are being supported by someone, they may potentially impute income to you on that basis. Speak to a support lawyer in your area.   -- David Bliven, Westchester Child Support attorney (www.blivenlaw.net)

No comments:

Post a Comment