Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Legally divorced since 2012 but still living in the same house with my ex.. can I get child support from him ?

Q:  For financial reason I am unable to find a place on my own ... I am still living in same house as my ex spouse but never ask for child support . We split all the bills ..But I would like to know if legally I can still collect child support so that my kids and I can move out move forward ..My divorced was finalize in October of 2012.
Thank you

A:  David's Answer:  The problem is that generally child support is only awarded to the custodial parent. If you are both residing in the same household, and the bills are being paid, then technically you're both the "custodial parent" of the children. What did the divorce decree say about custody & support? You're best advised to schedule a consult with a Putnum/Westchester Child Support lawyer.  -- David Bliven, Westchester Child Support attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment