Monday, February 24, 2014

How can i prove money orders were sent for child support?

Q:  I have my first child support court date coming up soon. We never had any legal arrangment and were never married. I always gave her a good amount weekly that she was fine with until recently. I have several money order recipts that are from after the date she filed the petition. These recipts clearly are just small stubs with numbers on them. How can i prove to the court that they were written out to my ex and i wrote child support on them? Can the court find out by tracking the number or is that my responsibility ? I know i can request a photo copy of the original money order but then I'd have to mail in the original recipt and dont know if that would count against me in court to not have the original copy. Just want to make sure i get credit for all these.

A:  David's Answer:  First, you only get credit for payments dating back to her filing date anyway. Second, see if she'll agree to the amounts in court once you produce the money order receipts you have. If she doesn't, then seek an adjournment to get the receipts with the memo portion.   -- David Bliven, Westchester Child Support attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment