Thursday, February 6, 2014

Child support whoas Help!!

Q:  I owe arrears in child support and are trying hard to work out paying them off but they are refusing to give me a reasonable amount monthly to pay back. Secondly they are charging me support but for the last 4 years I have had had full custody of my daughters . Went to court today and they are refusing to stop enforcement from four years back . They are now stating they need the mother in court. Please help tell me what I'm doing wrong ...

A:  David's Answer:  The issue is that they aren't obligated to work out a payment plan with you in the first place - they technically can take out up to 50% of the order (in some cases up to 60%) to satisfy the arrears. Moreover, the reason the Magistrate needs the mother in court is that she'd need to admit the child was with you - and even then its only discretionary (not mandatory) that the arrears be waived for that period. Speak with a Child Support lawyer in your area.  -- David Bliven, Westchester Child Support attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment