Thursday, February 13, 2014

Is a court order needed to stop paying child support or can i just stop paying when my son is 21 next month?

Q:  I went 2 years ago when my other son turned 21 but that was to get it reduced, now my younger son is 21 next month.

A:  David's Answer:  Unless there is a valid written agreement extending support beyond 21, then you can just stop paying. If there is a garnishment & it doesn't stop, then ask your employer to stop sending in the money & immediately file a petition in Family Court to terminate the garnishment.  -- David Bliven, Westchester Child Support attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment