Friday, September 6, 2013

Can I deduct college tuition payments from the amount of child support i pay?

Q: I pay about $3000 in child support each month and my oldest just started college. I pay $1000 per month to the school toward tution/room and board. Can I deduct this payment from the child support and pay only $2000?

A: You cannot do so if there's a court order of support. You nevertheless can petition the Court for a modification to get that credit. How likely you will be is dependent on a number of factors, including whether you pay support pursuant to a mere order or pursuant to a written Settlement Agreement.  -- David Bliven, Westchester Child Support attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment