Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Do I have to give my baby his fathers last name?

Q:  My boyfriend and I are moving in together after 5 years. We are having a son in March. He is convinced that the only option for my son is to have his last name. He says that if I give the baby my last name it would alert social services that he is either not involved or that we have problems. My reasoning is that we are not married and likely won't so why should I call my son by a different last name to mine? Can you please advise?


A:  David's Answer:  You may give the child your last name if you desire. Merely listing your last name as opposed to the father's will not trigger any report to DSS. In any event, I encourage you to follow-up with a Dutchess/Westchester Co. Child Support lawyer should you have additional questions.  -- David Bliven, Westchester Child Support attorney (www.blivenlaw.net)

No comments:

Post a Comment