Saturday, September 28, 2013

How do I transfer a child support case from New York to North Carolina?

Q:  My son and his mother live in Maryland and I live in North Carolina but the child support case is still in New York. What can I do to have it transferred?

A:  David's Answer:  It depends on what you mean by "case." If no one resides in New York any longer, then New York would no longer have exclusive jurisdiction over modification or enforcement petitions. Future such petitions should be filed in Maryland. That said, if you're talking about the collection of the support, then either one - probably better for the mother to do so - may make an application to have the collection transferred to North Carolina Support Collection Unit. --  David Bliven, Westchester Child Support attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment