Saturday, September 28, 2013

Can a US court establish paternity by default

Q:  Can a US court establish paternity by default and order a United States citizen man to pay child support and suspend his US passport for not paying child support? The courts cannot locate this person, because he does not have a US mailing address and cannot garnish his wages, because they cannot locate any assets in the United States. He had sex with this woman in the United States but the mother suspects that he moved to Japan, before her child is born.

A:  David's Answer:  Yes, but I would wonder how the father was served with the petition if his whereabouts are unknown. More facts would be necessary in order to definitively answer this post.  --  David Bliven, Westchester Child Support attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment