Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Is there a statute of limitation on back child support owed to the state of new york?

Q:  i left the u.s 23 years ago because of a difficult family situation nonetheless i kept contact with my child.(having him come over for summer,christmas and whatever other vacation time available he even stayed with me for 3 years). in all this time i refused to pay the state what it was asking for child support(to be explained at lattertime). i know owe 40,000 dollars and have no way of extinguishing the debt any time soon.

A:  David's Answer:  Yes, it's 20 years, but the problem is that the statute of limitations extends to each period of time you violated. In other words, you MAY be able to avoid 3 years worth of arrears (unless there were subsequent orders or judgments), but not the remainder of the arrears. It's probably best that you seek to cut a deal.   -- David Bliven, Westchester Child Support attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment