Saturday, January 11, 2014

18yrs of age-Senior in HS - will support continue for college years & is father resp for college?

Q:  My daughter just turned 18 - senior in high school. will her father be responsible for any college money and will he have to pay support to me as long as she is in college? i didn't see anyting in the divorce papers regarding college so if i need to return to court would it be support or something else? or is it automatic that support continues as long as she is in college?

A:  David's Answer:  Yes, generally basic support continues until she's 21 unless otherwise emancipated. You would need to file a petition requesting that the father pay additionally towards college. Usually the Magistrate will look at what amount he has left over to contribute after subtraction of the basic order as well as his basic living expenses. Speak further with a Child Support lawyer in your area. -- David Bliven, Westchester Child Support attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment