Sunday, January 26, 2014

In NYS, is there a statute of limitations for childcare expenses. My ex is asking for reimbursement from 2007-08.

Q:  There was an existing order for 50%, when she switched to a very expensive childcare. We made a private agreement that I would pay the same amount and she would payer higher difference. She also insisted on cash. I now have custody and to offset her support order she has filed for unreimbursed expenses.

A:  David's Answer:  Without doing further research on the question, my instinct is to say no. Child Support decrees are generally always enforceable during the minority of the child. There is a legal doctrine called "laches," which basically means if you sit on your rights you eventually lose them. You should (at the least) schedule a consult with a Child Support lawyer in your area.  -- David Bliven, Westchester Child Support attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment