Wednesday, January 15, 2014

I have court on 1/9/13 for back child support not paid from a court order back in febuary. Can i request for an ajournment?

Q:  my ex is taking me back to court on 1/9/13 for back child support that i have been unable to pay from a non jury trial that her and i agreed to defend ourselves because neither of us could afford an attorney so the judge decided in her favor with a high weekly child support payment court order back in febuary / march time frame. ive been unable to pay it except for a $1,000.00 from a lottery winning that the state is still holding up for processing. Can i request for an ajournment on the 9th so i may get an attorney to fight this? or will they refuse because its from a prior court order that i have not followed through with? or will they arrest me? PLEASE HELP

A:  David's Answer:  You should be able to get 1 adjournment in order to hire an attorney. Better move is to ask the court to assign you a lawyer - if you hire & pay for one on your own, the Judge will wonder why you're not using that money instead to pay the back support. -- David Bliven, Westchester Child Support attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment