Saturday, April 26, 2014

I'm single-mom, primary caregiver, main bread-winner, no child support. Lost my job, got an offer in Tx. Will I lose my kids?

Q:  Is there any hope of having girls come with me (ages 11 &16)? Father lives in same town with significant visitation. I have seen gradual alienation of the girls since he's been here. He, his new wife and girls prtray themselves as 'family unit' & I am treated as an outsider some times. He & I both have Ph.D.s , he left his previous job, is now CEO of his own company ( employs 4 incl his wife). He claims $20000 annual income, I had to waive child support as part of settlement agreement or he would get 50% of my assets. Since I lost my job last year, I've tried to find suitable job locally but couldn't. Options are to stay unemployed, sacrifice career/livelihood to stay close or take new job, lose kids and pay child support & go towards bankruptcy? Is there nothing I can do?

A:  David's Answer:  You'll need to commence a relocation action in either Family or Supreme Court in your area. Depending on the wording of your settlement, you may be able to also move to claim child support based on unanticipated change of circumstances. This may be a way to put pressure on him to agree to the move. You're best advised to document your job search for comparable employment in your area. Speak to a Child Custody lawyer in your area.  -- David Bliven, Westchester Child Support attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment