Saturday, April 26, 2014

Preschool, Private school and Day-care add-ons for child support from unmarried father

Q:  Hi, I had a child and starting a support case to get assistance from my ex-boyfriend. We never lived together. I want to know if:

1) Will I be entitled to get Pre-school and private-school add-on for my child? He does not want to send to pre-school or private school.

2) Will he pay a share of whatever type of day-care I choose for my child? does it matter how much it costs?

A:  David's Answer:  Unreimbursed educational & child care expenses are generally mandatory add-ons. Thus, generally he will need to pay his pro-rata share over & above basic child support. That said, how much of those add-on expenses he's actually assessed with will also involve an assessment of how much money he's left with after subtraction of the basic order & proposed add-ons. Speak to a Child Support lawyer in your area for more info.  -- David Bliven, Westchester Child Custody attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment